Blue December

The Needles on the Oregon coast taken yesterday…
D800, 20mm, f1.8, 4 seconds.

Fine take on a classic location. I love the range of color in the water, along with the patterns and textures. I could see cropping 30-40% of the sky to further emphasize that, but it looks good as presented. Very different feels.

I like the blue hour light and colors in this scene, they create a strong mood. The colors and textures in the wet sand is absolutely wonderful. In fact that wet sand is so attractive that I’d like to see more of it. The top half of the sky just isn’t doing that much for me, so I’m in agreement with @Harley_Goldman, I could see cropping 40% of the sky away, and ending with more of a panoramic aspect ratio. I hope you also took some composition brackets that showed more of the wet sand too.

Beautiful, classic scene in good light. I could see cropping about 10-15% off the right side and about 30-40% of the sky. I would keep all of the lower clouds including the stretched-out clouds exiting the left side of the image and crop just above those. Like @Ed_McGuirk, I too love the sand, particularly the center and left foreground. I also like how the farthest rocks are so much lighter/hazier than the closer rocks.

Dan,
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I too would crop about 30% of the sky. I love all of the shades of blue and orange in the wet sand as they are so rich and vibrant and lend so much to this beautiful seascape. I am also enjoying the textures in the sand along with the placement of the FG rock. I do have a question though. What exactly are the two grey shapes jutting above the rock formation on the right? Anyway, this is a beautiful image.

Ed,
The 2 grey shapes are just bumps in the sand. Probably 1/2 inch rise.
Thanks for your review, I appreciate it.

Thanks for all the opinions on the crop. I like the expanse of the sky but I appreciate wanting to concentrate where the color and shapes are. I look at the crop versus the sky and like the dimensions I used.
When is it cropped as suggested, the formations seem cramped. If you are on the beach, you need the sky, the surf and rocks need the space…