Needles Bluehour Pano

Oregon Coast at blue hour.
I do not normally crop night images because you lose detail quickly.
Because of good light and f1.8, I think the detail held up as I wanted to emphasize the
Needles.
Saturn and Jupiter prominent in sky.
D800, 20mm f1.8, 20 sec., iso800, cropped to pano
This is one exposure.
Raw conversion and exposure in Capture one.
Finish in PS6.

1 Like

Very nice Dan. I think the pano treatment works well, the composition feels well balanced with something of interest across the entire scene. And I like how the planets play a strong role in the center of the image too.

I’ve never been to this location, but I assume there must be some ambient light from nearby buildings creating the glow on the rocks. Color and saturation are personal and subjective, but for my taste the reds on the rocks are too saturated. I might suggest reducing the red saturation a bit, and slightly increasing the red luminosity. Here is an example of my thinking, I may have gone a bit far on the reds, but I would suggest moving in this direction.

I like the direction Ed has taken this. It is a lovely image with a fine composition, however it feels just a bit overprocessed to me. That’s a personal preference. Some like more pop than others.

Great minds think alike! I also like the composition, and the glassy reflection of color as well. I think @Ed_McGuirk is on the right track.

I love what the stars add to the image, and am very impressed this was a single exposure. About the only time I pine for a full-frame is with this low light stuff; one of these days I’m going to half to purchase a real camera.