The Needles

Oregon Coast taken this past summer.
Full on night photo with help from the light of the beach town of Cannon Beach.
D800, 20mm f1.8, 25 sec. iso 4000
One Take.
Bright light is the planet Jupiter.

1 Like

I was a little surprised at the brightness in the foreground, until I read your image description about the lights from the town. I actually like the warmth in the landscape that results from the town as a light source. The warm / cool color contrast is very pleasing in ttis image. I can see why you were attracted to the foreground boulder in the LLC as an anchor point in the image. But to me the overall composition is too left-heavy, between the rock, Jupiter, and the Milky way itself. If you had moved more to the right I think the composition would be better balanced, even if it came at the expense of giving up on the rock in the LLC.

Pretty cool shot. I like the processing. A little star trailing but that’s to be expected at 25 sec with a 20 mm lens. No big deal. My main concern would be to place the MW more to the right in the photo.

The star field looks great. Very sharp and a clean rendition and I like the white balance also.

I agree with the other about the composition feeling left heavy. A crop from the right might work.