Milky Way over Bodie Lighthouse

Nikon D 750 Nikon 20mm F1.8 20 seconds ISO 2000

DXO for Noise Reduction. Processing in LR. Contrast to the core of the MW and vibrance to the overall sky
so it’s not so flat. Yellow dots on lower left of image are fireflys. Lightened up the foreground just enough so the viewer can get the feel of it. I liked the barely lit light in the lighthouse

for some color and definition to the light area. Takes some timing to get that.

Comments and critiques please. Still trying to develop a night sky/Milky Way baseline for processing. I think the night sky images are more subjective than any other type of nature/wildlife processing.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hey Andrew – the Milky Way is super clear and very sharp, which is awesome – definitely shows that you know how to shoot the Milky Way, which frankly I don’t think too many people know how to do and as you know, definitely takes time and trial-and-error to get it right.

When it comes to the foreground and mid-ground elements, I think that is where this image is lacking – both in substance and in composition. Perhaps it’s the fixed lens of a 20mm/1.8 and the circumstances of the environment that allowed you only this angle, but I would suggest more of the lighthouse encapsulating the scene to offset the shortcomings of the flatness of the ground, such as shooting closer to the lighthouse and up wherein the lighthouse covers more real estate in the frame while literally intersecting with the Milky Way. It would also get you closer to the house w/ those cool interior lights as well.

Overall well done, and looking forward to seeing more Milky Way shots from you soon!

Hi Andrew,

The stars look super sharp and the night sky looks tonally balanced to me.

For me the Lighthouse coming up from near centre feels like a full stop (period) in the frame. My eye follows the lighthouse structure and stops at the light.

It also appears that the core of the galaxy is to the right of frame. Would it have been possible to move slightly to camera left and shoot towards the core wth the nebula behind the lighthouse?

There is a bridge under construction with work going on 24 hours a day just out of the frame on the right in the background. The sky is lit up like daylight there. It is too bright to do anything but cut it out of the frame. Thanks for the comment.

Really have to work the angle at the lighthouse to avoid the light. More coming with the MW straight up in the sky next to the lighthouse.

Thanks for the comments. Really appreciate that. I agree with you about the lighthouse being a larger part of the frame but the compromise is you have less space for the length of the Milky Way. I have some vertical shots but the MW is not as beautiful that way in my opinion. The foreground is flat but in reality it is totally black so any detail enhanced in post processing is a plus in my opinion. Tonal range in a night image is limited. I tried to make the sky less flat by adding contrast to the core of the MW.

I have another night image in the non nature critique area with an old lifeguard station a bit larger in the frame. Take a look as time permits.

I appreciate your time.

One of the best Milky Way images I’ve seen here on NPN. MW here looks like a cluster of stars, not a colored cloud as usually depicted. This comes closer to what I see when I look up in the desert.

I also like the lighthouse and the small lighted houses at it’s base. For me, this composition works well as is. The dark landscape is handled well in that it’s clearly night yet there is visibility in the moonlight. A small nit: the house is leaning a bit to the left.

Well done Andrew. A terrific night-sky and Milky Way image. The subject is after all the night sky and so the lighthouse is just a positive element (In other words, I don’t think it needs to be featured larger or any differently than you’ve presented.)

I especially like the colors in the sky. Starting up top with the deep, deep blue, but also graduating in to some very subtle greens and magenta nearer to horizon. No biggie, but if you ever decide to print this, I would consider cloning out the fireflies… :wink:

Lon