Blue-footed Plunge Diving

Walking along the beach south of Puerto Villamil on a hazy morning we encountered a flock of Blue-footed Boobies diving along the breakwater en mass. This occurred for a least a half an hour as the birds patrolled the shoreline looking for prey.

Isla Isabela, Galapagos, Ecuador

D500
500mm f/4
1/1250s @ f9
ISO 1800
+1 1/3 EV
Manual Auto ISO
Handheld

What technical feedback would you like if any?All comments are appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Great action shot. Those blue feet really stand out and I like the wave action. Nice detail in the birds.

This is pretty cool behavior Chuck. I like the collection of Boobies with the wild ocean background. The repeated pattern of the wings and the angle of the dive is fascinating. Good image!

Great action capture, Charles! Lots of nice sharp detail and a good sample of all the stages of the diving process. This is an amazing and dramatic fishing operation and some very unique birds. I would love to see them in person one day.

Really cool action shot showing the whole group in a sharp dive. The different positions of the birds makes for a lot of interest. Also great to see the blue feet on some of the birds. Love the waves too. Well done!

This is excellent, Chuck. I like it as an action image. the group about to enter the water are really cool. You might consider cloning out the little pieces of birds entering the frame on the right. Also, there seems to be a slightly hazy look to the birds-you might try a little dehaze to see if you like the effect.