Blue Jay - I'm Free Repost 2

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any Reduced viginette, enhanced head.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

An exuberant pose. Nice feather detail.

Love this John. I really like how the soft background complements the jay and does not compete for your eye. The jay is sharp has a nice DOF. Well done.

Hi John Wayne. Love the action captured and the muted background. Reduced vignette looks better. Exposure looks spot on. Personally, I think the detail in the bird could be a bit better. I think you just missed critical focus being on the bird. I have doubts that this is motion blur because the perch isn’t fully in focus either. I’d assume you were shooting the bird standing on the perch just prior to it taking off. Based on your techs, the perch almost certainly would be in focus too, if that were the case. Anyway, just my two cents. Looking forward to more.

Thanks Lyle, Your two cents are appreciated. I now remember doing a gaussian blur to soften the appearance of the perch in order to highlight the Jay. This in afterthought, may have been unnecessary in the end.
Wayne

Hi John
I like the take off, wings, and color on this Blue Jay. The only thing would try, is us a brush to blend the back ground in the upper frame.
Peter

Thanks Peter, Blended the upper dark area. Think it looks better.

Wayne

1 Like

Hello John, I truly keep coming back to your image it resonates with me as several emotions of freedom, commitment, Joy, living. I don’t see much need to change here I enjoy the refinement you did. Nice work!

Thanks Michael, I truly appreciate your post. This photo could be a role model for our, hopeful, reemergence to full freedom again.

Hello John,
Yes I agree on symbolism reaching for freedom. You have done well here in leaving room at the top for a magazine cover to place their header. Perhaps consider it for use in magazine sale or poster?