Blue Jay Photo in Chalk Pastel

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any Canon 5DS r, 100x400 Canon lens with 1.4 Ext., f 8, 1/500sec., iso 2000, Converted photo to “Chalk Pastel” rendition and cloned out some chalk around the head , wings and stump.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

An interesting treatment. For the most part I like how the bird and perch turned out. Obviously this type of effect will involve a lot of personal preferences by the artist and viewer. For me, I find the purple and dark green at the top to be drawing my eye. I think an overall lighter background would make the bird stand out better. I think I would also try to clone in a lighter background between the wing tips on the right and maybe even remove some of the green fringing around the perch. It was always fun to see this type of image in the old NPN photo art gallery. Glad to see some are still stretching the envelope. Look forward to more from you.

Thanks Allen, I’m a bit torn between the chalk overruns or neon spots etc and a more “clean” surrounding area.