Blue Time at Wikaninnish

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The undeveloped Pacific west coast of Vancouver Island made me feel exposed, enveloped, alone, small, and surrounded by nature. By contrast, the Wikaninnish Inn in the trees on the right of the image is a luxurious peaceful respite with only nature as its surround. I made this image in 2017 dashing away from dessert at dinner to capture Chesterman Beach at blue hour.

Specific Feedback

Any and all reactions and comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon D7000, 12 mm with 12-200mm kit lens at f14, ISO 200 on tripod

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This looks like a wonderful location to spend some time Larry. I can see why you feel the way you do about this spot. You have captured some lovely drama with those clouds in the sky and I am also enjoying their reflections in the water along the beach. This has a nice peaceful vibe to it and looks like a great way to end the day.

My only suggestion would be to dial back the blues a little bit; at least for my tastes; as they are a little strong. I hope you got to finish your desert!

This looks like the best dessert; it’s a great time of day and this looks like a beautiful place to be. I agree about the peaceful mood.

I also agree with @Ed_Lowe about the blues. They seem over the top on my screen and for my taste dialing back the saturation a bit would soften that. I’d also dial down the luminosity of the reflections on the sand; I wouldn’t expect them to be quite so bright. In addition, at large size there is odd streaking in some of the brighter sky spots that I don’t recognize. It’s almost like some of the sand ripples got into the sky.