Dreamscape

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was looking up from the beach floor over this gnarly set of rocks to Minnewanka Lake in Banff, Alberta. I was particularly struck by the colour of the clouds and the texture of the rocks. I thought it offered an unusual perspective at this popular destination.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7
1,6 sec at f10, ISO64, 17mm
focus-stacked

Hi Laura - quite a rugged coastline! I see why the attraction to all that drama. What strikes me here, other than the masses of rock, is that the perspective isn’t all that obvious that you were low to the ground. It has to do with that awkward bit of water that feels like a mistake. The near rocks are almost or actually intersecting with the background and whenever I see myself doing that, I either get lower or higher to avoid it. For most people it just feels awkward. You got very nice light here and I like the pink that continues from the clouds to the nearest rock.

Thanks Kristen. I think I agree with you about the intersecting rocks. I’ll keep that in mind next time I shoot.

This is really nice, Laura. I like the sky and the foreground rocks. I agree with @Kris_Smith that it doesn’t feel like you’re low down, but rather that you’re standing behind some foreground rocks. That said, that’s just the challenge and for me, it’s not that relevant to the image itself. I’m not a landscaper person, but it seems to me that the image could use a bit more separation between the snowy mountain ridges and the sky-difficult to do with the snow reflecting the sky colors, but I suspect there’s a way.

Hi Dennis, Thanks for your feedback. I am not quite sure I understand the mountain ridge comment, but I agree with you and Kris regarding separating the foreground from the background. Perhaps I will try a re-edit.

Laura, I’m with you in liking the subtle magenta in the sky and it’s reflection off the brighter rocks and snow. To me, this looks like a low camera angle, because of how little space the lake water occupies. I do think that you could remove half of the rocks at the bottom and still tell the same story.

Thanks Mark. I think I agree with you about cropping the bottom of the image. I was mostly focused on the sky😂