Bodie Washbasins

I took this several years ago at the Bodie ghost town in the eastern Sierras. Like many images, it seemed ok but not worth showing. Last night I converted it to b&w and it looks a bit better due to the textures in the image. Some of the processing was done with Silver Efex Pro. This looks better on a white background but how is that accomplished?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any.

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@50mm, ISO 100, f/11, 1/6 sec

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

A nice composition, Igor, and I love all the lines and textures in the building.

I agree with Dennis, great B&W conversion. I love the textures.

I really like the tonal scale here: it is rich and vibrant, with nice detail, Igor

I am curious what you think about cropping down from the top a bit. The lines of the upper portion of the door tend to lead my eye out of the frame.

I think is very nicely done.
-P

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank, @Bill_Pelzmann, @Preston_Birdwell -

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this image.

I don’t think that cropping down the top will eliminate the lines going up, and it will change the proportions to make the ovals be to large for the image. I added a white frame that provides a border that keeps the lines from extending.

Actually I did your suggested modification, Preston. You may like this more. It puts more emphasis on the basins.

Nice little scene. The crop version works best for me. It nicely defines the basins and makes the comp more coherent. Nice take on Bodie.

1 Like

Igor: this is a very good study of lines, shapes and textures all rolled into one. You could try putting a white frame around it as an alternative. Richard

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to show the alternatives, Igor.

The cropped version puts the center of interest on the basins and the old can.

In your original version the diverging lines of the door frame that led my eye out of the frame was what caused me to suggest the crop. The cropped version definitely has more impact.
-P

1 Like

I like the border, Igor. It fits the feel of the b&w presentation.

1 Like

These are really nice, Igor. Your B&W conversion looks spot on. I like both comps but I think the final crop with more emphasis on the wash basins is a bit stronger.

1 Like

I wish I had an eye for these kind of images. Wonderful tones, details, Steinbeck image.
Excellent.

1 Like

I like your cropped version best Igor since it does put more emphasis on the basins. Nice tonal range throughout.

1 Like