Ghost town schoolhouse

Image Description

I was rummaging around in the archives again and realized I had not posted this one. It has long been a favorite so I had to share it. Bodie Historic State Park, from 2006.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I love the doors and windows of old buildings, and as soon as I saw this one I was attracted to the balance of the elements. I assume the ball is a globe and I love the way it appears to be floating on the windowsill. I think I planned to stop by the scene again as the sun’s position changed but for whatever reason (too much other stuff?) I didn’t get back to it.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 1.13.00 PM

Reworked the raw file in today’s LR but very little done – basic global Shadows and Highlights was about it. Into PS for NR, minor straightening and a slight crop. Some very minor spot removal.

7 Likes

Ah good old Bodie. Even if you hadn’t said where this was from, I could have guessed. What a treasure that place is even if it is overrun these days. I visited in '12 there abouts and have a few window shots myself. Plus a view of the town from the cemetery. I like this for its symmetry and rugged textures. The circular object looks like a miniature moon and gives it a slightly canted, surreal touch. I could see the blue in the windows taken down a bit and darkened. Fabulous composition. I especially like the diagonal shadow in the upper left pane. Is it part of a porch?

Thanks, @Kris_Smith! Isn’t that shadow intriguing? From the tiny shadows on the boards, the sun was almost directly behind me. It has to be from the edge of the window itself and that curtain rod must be angled way back.

I like the blue against the warm wood, and think the color could be justified from some sky reflection. I didn’t mess with the colors and was on daylight WB.

Yeah the shadow is just such an intriguing bit since I can’t tell where it’s coming from (from whence it comes?). It’s a bit of an odd touch as is the “moon”. Super shot.

Always enjoy images from Bodie, Diane. Really glad Calif. decided to protect the site like it has over the many years since it’s mining heydays… :cowboy_hat_face:
I too recall seeing the globe in the window. Very unique as a solid piece of wood instead of a hollow shell of plastic or something else from a more modern era… :nerd_face:
I have a few images from the area and one is a porch with one of the domestic cats that roam the site. I named it the McMillan cat as it was on the McMillan house porch when I photographed the image… :heart_eyes_cat:

Hi Diane, this is very, very cool. I love the colors and the composition. Well seen. I’d love to explore this ghost town someday.

Another wonderful story you have told here. I love the colours too. I am enjoying your archives!

Diane, what a neat find and capture. I am not familiar with the place, but am enjoying just the same. Old buildings and old vehicles, you are touching my heart if it isn’t something truly of nature, this is as good as it gets. I like the old torn curtains still hanging. Nice.

I haven’t been to Bodie, but feel like I’ve seen everything there from all the photos of the place on social media. I haven’t been all that excited to go, even though it has great Dark Skies for some night photography.
Your image makes me reconsider my hesitancy to go. Getting in close like this really brings out personal stories in my imagination. The textures and details are great. Your composition is so simple, yet it says a lot. Thanks, @Diane_Miller

Thanks, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @David_Bostock, @Robena.Sirett, @Shirley_Freeman and @Mark_Muller. Mark (and anyone else) – it’s well worth the trip. Bridgeport is a fairly easy drive for me and a nice quiet place to stay. Lee Vining would be easier coming from the south and you get Mono Lake in the bargain. I’ve shot astro several times from the pulloff up Bodie Road just before the park gate. It’s a long gravel road but worth going to the top, at 8,000 ft. The problem is that none of the pulloffs have the flattest horizon to the the south if you’re after the Milky Way. The top one is the best by a slim margin, and the highest. The other problem is smoke from wildfires, which has been a big problem the last several years.

2 Likes

Another collector of windows and doors here. Love the way you photographed and processed this one.