Schoolhouse Window

I love old windows and this is possibly my favorite of the ones I’ve managed to capture, from back in 2006. It’s from Bodie Ghost Town, which is an abandoned mining town from the late 1800s in the dry eastern Sierra. The climate has helped with its preservation, along with being a state park. I’ve been there maybe 6-7 times and from LR keywords, this is the only image I find of this window. I need to look through folders further…

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 20D (talk about the old days!), Canon 24-70 at 52mm, ISO 100, f/11. 1/125. Undoubtedly a tripod. Minor tonal tweaks in LR, then into PS for some perspective correction and a touch of Nik CEP Detail Extractor and Tonal Contrast.

Real nice look at this old Bodie window. Bodie is a lot of fun - if it is not crowded. :smiley:

Diane, this is really nice. I love the colors. And it’s really intriguing looking through the windows, trying to puzzle out what all’s there.

The windows are nicely offset by the textured frame and siding. Well done. And with the 20D too! I sometimes miss that old camera.

What a wonderful subject. So well seen and shot. Colours are great. I love the curtains and the texture of the timbers around the window.

I saw it and thought it might be Bodie. I’ve only been there once, but it was impressive. I love your treatment here and the curtains…what’s left of them. The bolt or whatever that is in the URC is a nice counterpoint. I’ll have to post a schoolhouse and a shot from Bodie.

Diane, the warm weathered wood and tattered curtains make a great contrast. It took while, but I finally realized that it’s an old globe at the bottom. The straightness of the wood, both horizontal and vertical, is striking.

Diane, yes Bodie is a photographer’s dream for old vintage scenes. The wood texture is excellent in this scene. The old stained window shades adds to the era of the scene also. What is not obvious that can be seen in most of the windows in Bodie is the rippling. Early rippled glass was Crown style replaced later by Cylinder glass. No doubt one of the best preserved ghost towns here in the USA.

I have a lot of distorted reflections and shoot-throughs from there. Idea for another challenge??

That’s funny - one of my favorite Bodie shots is a reflection in a door window.