Boot fence

I don’t think Texans are the only ones who put old worn out boots on fence post, but this fence in Fredericksburg Texas is a bit unique. It is located on Willow Creek Loop just outside of Fredericksburg. The main attraction here are the bluebonnets that take up fields and fields in the early spring. I had gone up there to photograph the bluebonnets and discovered the fence and got side tracked. The fence goes on for about a half a mile with boot on every post. It corrals several beautiful longhorn cattle.

Looking back, I could have gotten a better angle, seem a little hard to read. Any thoughts? The sky was overcast and I did a bit of burning to pull down the brightness, still too bright and distracting? Any other thoughts?

Nikon D3300, f/11, 1/200, iso 200, @200mm, handheld

2 Likes

This is a cool look at a fence. I have seen that in some spots in California, but only once or twice. Good one. Shallow DOF is very effective.

Linda, the old boots on the fence posts is a long standing “western” tradition that’s said to show how hard and how long the owners have worked, because each boot has been worn beyond repair. The boots are also said to reduce rot in the fence posts by preventing moisture from seeping in from the flat tops. The line of softening posts and boots looks good. I also like what the top of the windmill adds to the story. I think you’ve handled the sky well, although a sunny or lightly overcast day could provide a different look. The overcast lets the details in the boot show well.

Linda, what a great find, and capture. I do love the fade out of the post and boots because of the DOF. I think you managed everything well. I had never seen nor heard of boots on fence post, so I do appreciate you sharing the image. I also appreciate @Mark_Seaver commenting on their purpose. Makes sense. No need in letting a boot go to waste, and besides, it lets folks know the rancher has worn out several pair in his hard labors. A great story as well as a great image! :+1: :+1:

Thanks @Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver, @Shirley_Freeman and @Ben_van_der_Sande for your kind thoughts. And thanks, Mark, for taking the time to explain the history/background on the boots on the fence.

1 Like

Hi Linda! What a unique photo! I’ve never seen anything like that before! And what an interesting history from @Mark_Seaver about them! I do hope you’ll show us a photo of the bluebonnet as well! Great job on the boots!

Thanks you @Vanessa_Hill, I’m glad you enjoyed it. I have heard many explanations for the boots on the posts and should have provide some explanation, however. I am grateful to @Mark_Seaver for taking the time to do so.

1 Like