Bougainvillea and window

Paul Weigman’s series of plants as architectural features reminded me of this one from some years ago in San Miguel de Allende.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D, 24-70 at 35, ISO 250, f/8, 1.5 sec. Shot very early in the morning with mixed lighting from streetlights and ambient light, which accounts for the strange purple shadows. Re-processed in the latest software but with only slight improvement. Some cloning on the wall, and part of a car removed in the LR.

3 Likes

Lovely, Diane. Reminds me of Italy. Nicely done.

Please tell me you printed and hung this at some point. It begs to be displayed. The colors are so beautiful and my whimsical turn of mind makes me think the window is sprouting from the plant itself. The shadows are interesting and give it a little unsettling vibe…a bit of unreality. Glad you could get rid of a bit of a car. Parking in front of this should also be illegal. lol

As Linda said, it reminds me of Italy. Nicely done, Diane. I really like the balance within the image.

I might stop to take a picture of this wall, but I wouldn’t know where to start pointing the camera or where to finish. Coming up with so many pleasing elements in one frame is not easy.

Gorgeous colours in the boug; leaf and flower, the subtleties in the wall are lovely and the window (with curtains) could not be placed better.

Very nice! Everything comes together so well; it seems that someone carefully placed and glued the stems of the Bougainvillea.

The hard lines are perfect. The color separation at the bottom is parallel to the frame line, and the window is a rectangle.

I’m obsessive about how lines in a photo need to be accurate to their setting. For instance, in a landscape with a horizon, the horizon needs to be absolutely level, and windows need to be as rectangular or square as possible.

Thanks everyone! @paul_g_wiegman, I share your view of rectilinear framing for architectural objects. I had to shoot this from slightly left of square-on, for reasons I forget, but maybe just to minimize the car as much as possible, so I distorted it to a straight-on view. I love that I can do lens and perspective corrections in PS. This one feels like it is still just a bit off, but some of that is perceptual.

@Kris_Smith, I hadn’t thought about printing and hanging this one, but I may indeed! I have some wall space to fill in a new house. I think I need to remove the patches of blue sky reflecting in the window.

Thanks everyone, and thanks to @Bill_Fach and @Kris_Smith for the EP – I’m very honored!

2 Likes

Congratulations on the yearly EP! 3rd Place - Flora! Well deserved Diane.

1 Like