Boy or Girl?

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What is your initial reaction to this picture?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

The El Dorado Fire burned 35.5 Sq. miles in San Bernardino and Riverside counties of California from September to November 2020. One firefighter was killed. A pyrotechnic device started it at a gender reveal party. It produced great billowing clouds of smoke that had a haunting beauty.

Technical Details

Sony RX-100 m6
ISO 1660, f/3.2, 1/50 sec. It was processed in LR and PS.

Specific Feedback

Is there an emotional reaction to this picture without knowing its story?

A complex image to absorb. At first it felt like a view out an airline window, but then there is a hint of splashing waves on the left edge. So my reaction is awe at some manifestation of the power of nature, but then the story put it in context. And NOW I get the title. Duh.

The image does show the power of nature. Tragic as it is, there can be beauty in fires.

That fire was a distant one for me but I remember the coverage, and the devastation. The moronic stupidity of those people is almost beyond belief. Or SHOULD be. It reminds me of the idiot kids who devastated the Columbia River Valley with fireworks – and of many dozens of similar instances of incredible negligence. It would be so nice if “accidents” like that resulted in qualification for a Darwin Award.

Barbara: This is really beautiful and intriguing. The color palette is marvelous and before I read your description I thought these were normal clouds and not smoke. Top notch shot! >=))>

First reaction is that they look like especially violent clouds. And another reaction was that I was puzzled by the title, but figured it had something to do with the pink & blue hues. It’s compelling somehow, I keep seeing more things in it.

Just read your description. Title makes sense now. But the pink and blue fit anyhow! And I share your anger. It’s remarkable that such negligence rarely carries any significant consequences, despite the destruction and the impacts on 1000s of other people.

Barbara: I, as others initially saw this a billowing thundercloud with all the drama that thunder and lightning bring with them. This view from above is great.
Living down here in So Cal, that fire was really traumatic for so many people. I used to live about ten minutes from where it started and we used to spend hours and hours with my two boys in the San Bernardino NF when they were little.

Barbara, without knowing the context, it is an awesome look at some violently billowing clouds. Yes, it’s amazingly sad at the extent to some folks will go to “be cool”. Given that a number of folks have been charged for starting large fires, I’m surprised that there seems to be no such response in this case.

Whoa! I’ve been transported to Heaven. Majestic, powerful, glorious. It brought to mind the Chorus Mysticus by Mahler. Magnificent.

1 Like

Oh, what a great sound track!! The finale of Mahler’s 8th – thanks, @Chris_Baird! No internet link could do it justice but just imagine being in this concert hall. Look above the orchestra and try to visualize the acoustics…

2 Likes

Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Thanks, Chris, for that link. I was deeply moved.

1 Like