Branching Out

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D, 10-22 @ 16, 1/400 @ f11, ISO 400

Not sure whether it was the wind but the one branch of this maple parted company with the rest fairly suddenly. A late Spring shot at Lyme Park in Cheshire.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is another fine tree portrait, Ian. Real nice range of greens throughout and it is a cool tree.

A nice country scene and very peaceful feeling.

Hi Ian,

Love the colors in this image looks like a beautiful place to sit and get away. I would say from a composition side I would like to see more depth from the tree to the tree line. Maybe go higher on a tripod to show the fall of the hill or closer and wider to pull that tree forward I love the colors in that hillside. If I’m not mistaken thats the same tree from a different angle as your Maple in the Sun shot. I liked the depth provided from that other angle gave the tree a little more attention and let my eye work through the shot.

Ian,

Ditto on Harley’s comments. It is rather strange that this branch is isolated - although I must say it works great as an eye rest for the overall scene! My guess is that a bigger section of this tree broke off and perhaps the caretakes of this park/land cleared away the fallen branch - leaving a mystery as to what happened to this lovely tree.

I almost didn’t notice until breaking open the larger view, but am I seeing some cloing remnants in the foreground grasses? perhaps to extend the foreground? It actually looks pretty good and I’m not convinced of any cloning, but thought I would mention.

Wonderful light, colors and quite a complimentary sky.

Lon

Ian, it’s that lone breakaway branch that makes the image work for me, it adds a lot of character to the tree. And with clouds like that you really needed to have an strong shape in the tree to carry the image, and this tree fits the bill. My only other suggestion would be to add a stronger vignette, to draw more attention into the center of the image.

Ian, this tree is beautifully presented. The tree has a great shape with that “flying” branch adding extra interest. The foreground cloning is clear. This is a situation where adding canvas in PS and then using content aware fill may make the added space less noticeable and take less work (sometime CA fill works well and sometimes it doesnt…).

The isolate branch is very cool. This is a nice scene with great color and texture.
-P

Ian, what a great tree and a great composition. I like the spring greens and the diffuse and dappled sunlight.

A couple processing comments that I think will enhance the image: The foreground cloning is apparent to me as well, and it does distract. Although I’m not experienced with the Content Aware Fill, that may be worth looking at. Also, I’m noticing a dark line at the horizon, particularly at the lighter background hill, but also on the right side.