Flowering Maple

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 400D, 18-55 @ 18, 1/160 @ f16, ISO 200

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Have just revisited a shot from a series taken last year at Lyme Park in Cheshire - an old English country estate - which I did not post at the time. A maple at the beginning of Spring.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Tranquility is what the composition of your image says to me, Ian. Beautiful !

This is a gorgeous tree Ian placed perfectly in the frame. I am enjoying the wonderful spring colors too.

Ian,

A wonderful capture of this magnificent tree; the light and color throughout is excellent.

Composition wise, I see two responses. First response was the space on the is pretty empty and not adding much - although with the distant landscape does add depth and context. But it feels like the tree is kinda crammed to the side. On the other hand… placing the tree off center is stepping out of the box a bit and also works due to my previous comment about depth and location.

My biggest nitpick are all the fuzzy sensor dust spots, mainly noticeable in the open, empty sky on the left and a few on the right. You might want to take care of those if you choose to print this. And this would surely look good in print.

Lon

Thanks, @Lon_Overacker, for pointing out the dust spots. I had a lot at the time on that camera sensor ( now cleaned ! ) but somehow missed a few in tidying up the image. And thanks for the comments in general.

Ian, this is a very nice portrait of the tree, it has a very interesting shape. After reading @Lon_Overacker comments, I’ll start by saying that I am not usually a big fan of extensive use of negative space. But in the case of this image I think the empty sky helps to balance the off-center tree. I think part of the balance is due to the blue colors all being in the left side, and the warm colors on the right. I also did a mental crop of the left side by holding a sheet of paper over the the left. When I looked at this possible crop, the tree just felt too static in the composition, so placing it off-center as you have done here feels more effective to me.