"Breaking Storm"

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Comp primarily is appreiated. Other Welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
5 second exposure/ ISO 50/ F22 / pano

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

This is the third in a series of four images I made during an unusually wet and snowy week in Southern Utah recently. A favorite comp I revisit often, conditions have to be just right to get the sky reflection they way it appears. Thanks in advance for feedback!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Marvelous. My first impression was that the tree was floating in the sky or coming out of a fog. What’s really special is just how photogenic those branches are. They’re just shaped perfectly. Grace and delicacy.

My only suggestion would be to use a faster shutter speed. I think that if the user could see the texture of the surface of the water it would take this image to still another level. That’s my sense of it.

The alternating light and dark bands of clouds provide a great background and add interest to the negative space. You could have gone many ways with this other than centering it. Here is but one. But I like the centered look very much.

I love it ! I personally prefer it centered. Maybe a little crop but not much.

You nailed my taste for minimalism with this! I could play with cropping all day long to meet specific needs or applications and none would change the impact. This would have great commercial application for dropping in text here and there, depending on the layout. Meanwhile it owns a place on the walls of homes and galleries.

This is excellent, George. Very intriguing, engaging image. To me the centered comp. works perfectly. Also, your processing looks great to me.

OH MY! I had the same first impression as Igor - the small thumb version I most certainly was thinking these trees were sticking out of the fog from some ridge top; but then couldn’t figure out why the lower branches were kinda foggy… was this a composite? Totally blown away.

Then, I clicked and saw the large version and my impressions just shot up another couple of levels. This is outstanding. It’s early yet in 2019, but this will have to be in the running for image of year when it comes time… at least in my book. You should be very happy with this.

Wow.

Lon

This is outstanding, George. It took me a few moments to actually digest what I was looking at after I opened the thumbnail. The centered crop works very well, but I prefer Igor’s crop as I think it adds a bit of visual tension to the scene. Great eye to spot this.

This is magical George. The clouds and their reflections give this a very mystical quality. I like it centered without any cropping. I think having the tree relatively small in the frame, and using a cool WB, adds a lot to the mood you tried to create here. Impressive vision on your part.

Outstanding image! Great mood, very otherworldly and mysterious. I much prefer it centered as presented. No suggestions here, great work!

Just a tremendously pleasing image. Agree that varied crop interpretations are possible here and that any/all could be successful. The shutter speed just doesn’t quite still the water…looks to have been a subtle breeze that day. In my perfect world, I’da liked to see stiller water, and a more symmetric reflection of the tree branches. As I say that, I like how the subtle ripples give us perspective on what we’re seeing. So, I’m just not sure if it could be improved upon. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for providing feedback! @Jim_McGovern @Harley_Goldman @Ed_McGuirk @Ed_Lowe @Lon_Overacker @Dave_Dillemuth @Hank_Pennington @Bill_Leggett

Fortunately I have many different iterations from the morning I made this image - so many possibilities! @Lon_Overacker wanted to respond specifically to your question re: composite - absolutely NOT! Also very kind of you to say this could be a possible candidate for image of the year. Thanks again all!