Breaking Storm

Color

Black & White

I have been trying to capture this scene of a breaking storm here in the Santa Cruz mountains for the last 7 years. I thought I had something with this one, but then when processing I felt it lacked something and was ready to trash it. Then, something made me wonder what it would look like in Black and White.

Specific Feedback Requested

Was my B&W inspiration leading me to something better? Does the color version work?

Technical Details

Nikon D850, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 MF, ISO 100, 4 vertical panels stitched in PS CS6

1 Like

Youssef, the B&W works beautifully for me. I find it has much more drama, depth and feeling than the color version. It looks great. The color version isn’t bad but does not have nearly the impact for me.

Thanks @Harley_Goldman , that’s what I thought as well.

Youssef, the B&W version has much more impact and drama than the color version. I suppose you could continue to tweak the color one to get more of that impact. But the B&W is certainly my preference…maybe because I am just such a fan of B&W images…anyway, well done.

Even though I usually go for black and white over color, I really like the color version better, Youssef. I feel like it has more depth and the way the light is on the trees. The layers of hills especially on the left. It just for me seems to all stand out more. Beautiful composition either way!

Youssef, like Vanessa I too prefer the colour version - it’s absolutely stunning. The soft palette of colours is beautiful and overall the image is calm and relaxing and I absolutely love that.
The black and white version is nice too and is clearly more dramatic so I guess it really just depends on what mood you want to invoke in the viewer.

Both are excellent. It depends on what mood I am in which one I prefer. If you are thinking of printing one or both of these, there appears to be a man made structure (perhaps a sign) in the lower left about a 1/4 of the way into the image. It would stand out if printed, especially in the color version.

I like both but, to me, the B/W conveys more intent, saying that your interest is in the lovely and dramatic patterns. I’m betting that is what made you pick up the camera. I think the pano crop suits the scene very well and shows an artistic intent beyond just recording a lovely scene.

Thanks for noticing that house. The majority of the Santa Cruz mountains are populated. Most of the time homes are well hidden among the trees. If I eventually print this I’ll consider cloning it out.

I think both are compelling. Deciding between them depends on what you are trying to say with the image. I agree with what has already been said that the B&W is a stronger/bolder statement, whereas the color is more understated. Very nice capture of the storm with the cloud inversion.