Clearing mountain storm and B&W version

I captured this just after a front had passed through and the rain was clearing. It is at about 980-1000m altitude, and after stormy weather the scene was one of absolute serenity despite its wild surroundings.

Specific Feedback Requested

I only had a single lens (a 75mm) and little opportunity to reframe the shot. However, I wanted to try and get the main waterfall as well as the patch of ice near the top left in the frame, and thus also needed to include the patch of vegetation on lower left. I had imagined this as a black and white image, but then thought that the colour of the vegetation on the lower left might balance the scene better. Black and white or colour?

Technical Details

1/125s, f10, ISO 100
Olympus 75mm f1.8
LR- just a little tonal adjustment and slight increase in saturation of grasses.

2 Likes

Great image! I would try a B&W, transfer the green color to very dark. (By the way, a great lens!)

This is very nice.
I love tho composition and the mood you get here.

I think this works well as color but I would increase the contrast a little on the main rock/waterfall

Oooh, beautiful! Personally, I love the color as it gives the scene context. If you want this to be more about the actual scene and location, I’d say stick with color. If you want more of a mood (whatever that might be), b&w would give more leeway in the processing.

Hi Phil, this is a really cool image. Color or B&W work just fine. I might consider darkening the top foggy section just a touch. But that’s a really fine point. Wonderful image.

Cheers,
David

I also find the splash of color to add a nice contrast. But I can see how a black and white could be compelling as well. Depends on what you want to say. The color probably conveys the sense of serenity better than a black and white.

(By the way, a great lens!)

[/quote]
A great lens indeed, use it mostly for floral closeups because of its creamy bokeh. One of the first M4/3 lenses I bought quite some time ago. I now use it on a Lumix G9.

1 Like

@Ola_Jovall @DeanRoyer @David_Bostock @Bonnie_Lampley @joaoquintela
Thanks for your kind comments and your suggestions. I find the latter very helpful. I do like the B&W version…it induces a harsh feeling that matches the environment there. Cheers.

2 Likes