Clearing storm, Paradise Valley

I’m continuing to experiment with b&w processing. This is a view of the clearing side of a passing rain shower (that’s the cloud in the upper left corner with the rain in bright area below). There are some nice fall colored grasses in the flat areas, but I also liked the textures in the hills, which I thought would show best in b&w. This is try 3, with moderate contrast. The earlier versions were a very high contrast version and a low contrast version. BTW, @Gary_Phillips , your tip about the blue channel being noisy solved the sky noise in my earlier post.

5D3, 24-105 @ 105, f/16, 1/125 s, iso 200, tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Exceptional image Mark. Great leading lines. Image also looks nice and crisp. I would add a few small tweaks. I would darken the sky a little to make the clouds pop a little more. I would also clone out some of the fence brace running up the side of the hill where it merges with the tree. Still love the image even without my suggestions.
:vulcan_salute:

Hi Mark, Love the lines in this image, the sky, and the B&W tones. well done.

I really like the flow of the composition and the rich tonal variation in the land. I’m not sure about the monotonal wedge of sky in the upper left. Is the image better with or without it?

Mark, I really like this composition and the tones. I also do like Igor’s idea to remove the wedge in the ULC. This is a great look at Paradise Valley!

Looks wonderful, Mark. I’m glad the blue channel suggestion worked on the noise issue. I agree that the wedge of clouds is a little distracting. It is part of the story of the clearing storm and I’m sure it was looked quite different as it unfolded. I like your journey into the b/w world.

Wow, what a scene. I like what Igor has done to the crop, Mark. The rest of the processing is awesome though.

I very much like the composition and light. Lots going on here, but it’s well organized. I think Michael’s crop works. Makes it a bit more cinematic.