Bridge Lights

I shoot this bridge on a regular basis…it’s great in color and B&W.

Technical Details

Composite: No
D800, 80-400 @ 200mm, f/11, 30 sec, ISO 50

Processed in SEP (First edition)

3 Likes

Stunning, Chris. Has a bit of an abstract quality to it. I like the B&W treatment, but would be interesting to see it in color also. Nicely done.

1 Like

Color, I have but it doesn’t really have the same impact as B&W. I attribute this to the same phenomena as shooting concert photos under gelled lights…in color, meh, so-so but in B&W, can be quite stunning.

1 Like

Chris, this is a nice high contrast subject. Well done. I like the star shapes off the lights.

1 Like

Amazing!! Incredible starbursts, and the way the sky funnels down into the lighted “arch” is fantastic!

1 Like

Great Gestalt*! I love images like this that defy immediate perception the way this does. Until the enlarged image finally loaded, I was perceiving the center lighter areas as proceeding forward of the darker bridge structures, which seemed farther away – actually they became the sky. This is a type of artifice that Andre Kertesz would sometimes employ.

*In this sense: how the brain immediately interprets an image before it has time to fully organize the elements.

EDIT: I believe the title influenced my initial reading. I preconceived the lights as a foreground element.

1 Like

I always had my students emulate one of Bresson’s, Kertesz, Stieglitz and Steichen images so they could get a sense of the simplicity, yet so very difficult to perceive imagery. Always in B&W and always on large format film. I can assure you a lot of my work is influenced by all the early 20th century photographers and artists, for that matter.

Same here on the photographers, art interests tended toward 14-18th century paintings. As part of my first photo class we had to go to a museum to see photos by Weston, Bullock and Adams. It sort of ruined my life.

1 Like

A graceful and artistic take on a behemoth. I’m normally not a city life fan, but this is appealing and very well crafted.

1 Like

I was fortunate to do a workshop with Al Weber who was a printer for Ansel Adams. This experience taught me more about B&W processing than I had accrued shooting for nearly 40 years prior to that. He was a walking, talking encyclopedia of the B&W image.

I love the abstract quality of this as well. Not your every day perspective, which is why I love photography!!!

1 Like

Chris, this is excellent. The mix of high contrast and those glorious light stars looks great. The gentle curve of the two spans adds another fine element.

1 Like