Bridge on Mars

Forth Bridge, Edinburgh, Scotland.

I took this image a couple of weeks ago. I went out to get the sunset but, surprise-surprise, not much light happened.

I checked the tide times before heading out so I knew it would be high tide, I was actually happy about that as there are loads of sea weed covered rocks under the water that all very visible at low tide.

After the sun set, it was pretty dark and I found it difficult to find suitable compositions, however it was not impossible! I actually enjoyed being more challenged!

I noticed the light from the bridge shining at the these rocks that were at my feet. I knew Iā€™d not be able to get both foreground and background in focus so I took two exposures, one focused at the bridge and one focused at the rocksā€¦ I had to use my phoneā€™s torch to lit up the rocks so I can that they are in focus. In the meantime,my right foot had to be placed on the ā€œrearā€ leg of the tripod as the lens was tilted quite a bit and the terrain was a big slope.

In LR I pulled up the foreground then in ps I blended the two focus variationsā€¦Ps did a complete utter rubbish job with blending so I had to touch up quite a bit. If I did it again, Iā€™d just blend the photos in manually!

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? I noticed in my previous shots that my composition needed to be improved a lot, hopefully this time I achieved a better composition.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

As above stated, this image is 2 shots blended together, it was pointless reallyā€¦

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I think this is a wonderful Image, Zoltan. I donā€™t do much night photography but I like this, It;s well thought out and executed. The bridge is a stunning subject and the fore works nicely. I might, as an alternative, crop this to a 4 x 5, with some off both top and bottom. As is itā€™s very good.

1 Like

Hi Gary,

Firstly thank you so much for the kind words and your suggestion to crop the image to 5:4! I quickly checked it on my phone and you are right, the 5:4 crop would get rid off some of the dead space above! Thanks again! Quick phone edit to show the 5:4