Broad-tailed Hummingbird(?)

Driving down from Mt Evans I found a lodge with some bird feeders. In the surrounding bushes some of the birds sat still for a while. As was this one. I assume it’s a Broad-tailed, if anyone could confirm or correct this, that would be great. Thanks for any comments as well ! Cheers, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D850 with 500mm f4 | 1/640s | f5 | ISO320 | underexposed 2/3EV | handheld)
I cloned out two branches. Since I am not a pro at that I hope it’s not noticeable :wink:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I think I know exactly which lodge you are talking about. This is such a gorgeous portrait of this guy, Hans. I might want a bit more depth of field but it’s a minor point to a very gorgeous portrait. I didn’t notice any clone artifacts.

Lovely image. I like that you’ve left lots of space around the subject and not cropped it tighter.

1 Like

Thank you Adhika. As to the DOF, I know not everybody appreciate my choice of very shallow DOF is almost all my images, but it’s sort of my signature I guess :wink: … I usually prefer smooth BG, and as long as the eye/head/major parts are sharp I’m happy. But it’s personal, of course :slight_smile: .

Lovely portrait of this little fella. I have yet to get a good photo of a hummingbird, they just never stop moving for me, haha. I like your choice of aperture for this one, it creates a very cool look. I don’t see any sign that you cloned branches out, so it’s not noticeable to me!

No signs of the cloning, Hans. The only effect of your shallow dof that kind of bothers me is the right end of the perch, but that’s pretty difficult to avoid unless you’re working a set-up. A beautiful image of the hummingbird. I’m not familiar with the Broad-tailed, but it looks like a reasonable choice.

Gorgeous contrasting colors and a clean background and nicely positioned in your frame.