Broad Winged Hawk

This summer we have had a pair of Broad Winged Hawks hunting rabbits and squirrels near our house. This one found a great perch in one of our large honey locust trees. I took several shots while he was sitting in the tree and I especially like this one for the position of the head. I feel the airy nature of the tree forms an interesting backdrop for the image.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) I captured this image using using a Canon EOS R camera hand held and EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens: 200mm, ¹⁄₁₀ sec at f/9.0, ISO 200. Minor tweaking was done in LRClassic.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A gorgeous shot with a wonderful setting! You must have been very close at 200mm. I wonder about taking a little off the top to remove the brighter OOF spots there. The green foliage above the head makes such a lovely frame so I wouldn’t cut any of it off.

thanks Diane - he didn’t seem to mind as I worked my way into about 20-25 yards away. I was pretty happy I needed no cropping to get a decent size image of the bird.

I am enjoying the environment and the perch. I do agree with Diane that cutting a bit off the top would be beneficial. At the same time you could cut off a bit on the right side so as to de- center the subject. On my monitor, there appeared to be some image quality issues and if what was posted is correct, 1/10 of a second will contribute to minor blur issues.

I generally shoot at anywhere from 800th to 2500 for birds in flight and sometimes even faster depending on the bird. I was always taught the rule of thumb for birds not in flight was 1/640.

If you live in Michigan, you have an amazing variety of avian critters.

A really nice environmental shot, Terrance. I am enjoying the perch as well as the background. He posed nicely for you. Glad he let you get the shot.

The hawk really stands out from surroundings and photo has a majestic feel to it. If the 1/10 second is not a typo it looks like you might have bumped ISO and opened lens up a bit to boost ss. I like the cropping suggestions also. It is a really nice photo .

Great comments - thank you everyone. I see the focus issue when the image is enlarged - the shutter speed was an error. It should have been 1/100, which I agree is still low. One of those days when you grab the camera and start shooting quickly because the moment is flying by and you have no idea how long the bird will stick around.

I like the pose and the environment it’s in. The curve of the tree adds interest. I would agree about cropping off some of the top as I think it would bring the viewer more into the areas of interest.