Red-shouldered hawk

Had a brief chance at this red-shouldered hawk. Thanks to all in advance.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all. Hard to keep him (her?) in place.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Photo has been cropped to center the hawk in the frame. Nikon DS3500, f/6.3, 1/1000s, iso 125. Overcast day that ran bright to dark.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice color in the hawk, Mike. I really like how the background works in this image. That kind of branches-against-the-sky is really tough to keep from being a real mess. This is soft enough that it doesn’t bother me. The Bird is a bit soft too. It looks as if your Autofocus latched onto the perch which often happens. I don’t know how many AF points you were using, but in the trees like this, the fewer, the better. I’ll usually go with just one.

I have seen this guy a few times but have never had any opportunity to photograph him. This is beautiful. Softness aside, this is a tough situation with the bird perching so high up. I wish you have a frame where the bird is looking at you. I am not bothered by the BG even though I would suggest cloning a yellowish bark on the big branch very close to the middle of the right edge of the frame.

BG is the downside, you could blur it out a lot more in post for separation. Lighten the eye area, crop top and bottom. The eye needs to be sharp…like Dennis I use single point. I go for the eye, or breast if I think i have the DOF that will include the head as well. Ty for post, GL