Red-shouldered

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Red-shouldered Hawks are high on my list of raptors to shoot. They almost look like something you’d buy at a pet store! Taken with my D500, Nikon 2-500 lens, hand held, 1/2000th, f/7.1, ISO 1100, 500mm, AI Clear

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is such a cool shot with the look that he gave you. I also like the habitat and composition. Even though they are busy but they work really well, perhaps it’s because the bird is not obstructed by any branches or stray needles. Processing wise, I think there is something funky going on with the noise in the shadows. It also looks like this is a big crop. What’s the remaining resolution, Dave?

I should’ve said that it’s cropped to 1077 x 1245. I confess, I do have a tendency to major crop to get what I like… and sometimes there’s price to pay, I guess. I appreciate your input.

Love it just as it is. Busy BG, but sharp and a natural habitat.
Sandy

Hi Dave I just wanted to say that I really really enjoy your image. They are such a cool Birds to photograph and quite off and you can get so close. We see them locally fairly often. I like your crop beautiful sky pfriem to nicely this is a winner in my estimation. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us.

Excellent job finding a clear angle in all those pine needles, Dave. The downward head turn really helps mitigate the steep upward angle of the shot. Nicely done.

I like the composition with the pine needles and downward look of the hawk. Such pretty birds. I do think the sizeable crop has affected image quality a good bit.

Hi Dave,

Color and coimp look good. The crop has reduced image quality slightly. You may want to try Topaz Gigapixel (free trial) which uses an artificial intelligence algorithm for upscaling images. Other than that, I like this one a lot…Jim

I have recently acquired Gigapixel but only intended to use it for getting large prints made. I shall try it. Thanks much for the suggestion!