Juvenile Red Shoulder

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I was lucky to find a Red-shoulder nest that had 4 noisy fledged kids still hanging around the vicinity of the nest. Even though this shot is kinda busy I thought that its expression carried it. What say you? D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, hand held, 1/1000th, f 6.3, 500mm, ISO 450, Topaz DeNoise AI, cropped to 1260 x 1489

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I’d certainly never turn away a nice hawk photo like this. I viewed the shot before I read your words and my thought was like yours that the expression made the shot. In some ways I like the setting-colorful and nice light, but I also find the area above the head a bit distracting.

Love his expression, Dave. I agree with Allen, would never turn down a shot at a hawk. It is a bit busy with limbs, etc., but he is in his natural habitat, and we can expect that once in awhile. Hopefully he will pose in a better setting at some other time. Worth going back and checking out.

Tough shoot up into the trees from closer range. Nice expression and detail. There is a bit of a blue cast to the proximal tree bark and on the needles close to the hawk.

Hi,

Turn down those cyan/blue cast in the shadows. I like the pose and the busy stuff in the BG comes with the hawk. Well done…Jim

Nice job getting an angle to get a clean shot at this hawk, Dave. I do like the expression. The brilliant blue background does feel distracting to me, though the needles don’t bother me. You might play with the relative saturation/brightness between the hawk and background to see if you can make it pop a bit more.