Brown Pelican Fishing (Low Key)

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all feedback welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all feedback welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Taken on an overcast day in January of this year at Ding Darling. Feeding frenzy of Egrets ,Herons, Stork and the ever present Brown Pelican. The Mangrove Swamp backdrop was lightened a bit and the format was changed to portrait from horizontal, and a bit of canvas added above and below.
Nikon D5, Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II @ 175mm. F9, ISO 400, 1/2500 second.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Cheryl, welcome to NPN. This looks like it was your first attempt at posting an image to the site. Unfortunately, it isn’t showing up, so my guess is that you have done like many of us has done in the past, type all of the information, but miss the “Add Image” tab right above the comments, and so your photo doesn’t get loaded up. I believe that you can click on the pencil at the bottom below all of your comments, and get a chance to add your image and even make any changes to your comments if you ever need to do that. Hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing this shot, and many more of your images.

Oops! Thanks Shirley so very much for the help, and being so nice about it. It took weeks to get up the courage to post even one shot, your kindness let’s me know that this is probably the right community for me.

Welcome to NPN and the Avian forum, Cheryl. This is an awesome first post. I’ve never seen the bill under water like that. You caught an amazing instant here. The only change I might make it so frame it just a bit more loosely as with all that action, the bird feels a little cramped to me.

You are quite welcome, Cheryl. I am enjoying this image. The darkness around the subject, the splash of water, the motion of the fish, makes for a nice stop action shot. Wonderful details in the feathers of the pelican. Normally it is good to see the eyes of the subject, but he was busy with his dinner so he didn’t pose for you. Excellent first image, Cheryl. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Hi @Cheryl_Kuhl.

Very cool image!. A little hard to wrap your head around at first glance, which makes it even more intriguing. Nice capture. Looking forward to more of your work and your participation providing thoughts on images from other photographers.

1 Like

Cheryl, I apologize. I just took another look at this, and I’m now seeing the eyes! They are under water. This truly is a fascinating image.

WOW! I cannot believe you looked close enough to find the eye though the veil of a nictitating membrane and water. Thanks for your kind words and the time to get me on track. No apologies necessary, ever. You are right, it would have been wonderful if the eye was clear and sharp, but it just wasn’t possible this time. Enjoy the day!

C

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

1 Like

Thanks Keith. The image was even challenging for me to decipher at first glance, and I was looking through the lens when it was taken. My mother used to say that if you aren’t beautiful, be interesting…. I thought this photo somewhat interesting.

Looking forward to giving the “critique” thing a try today. So many wonderful photos and photographers.

C

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Thanks Dennis. My friend Daisy says isolate the subject and wait…she/he will do something interesting. Aha!

Thanks for the tip on the crop. I have vacillated between too much and too little every time I open the file. It is good to have another set of eyes and another more seasoned opinion.

C

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

A fascinating image. You mention lightening the background, but it’s so dark–which is good!–I don’t really see too much evidence of that… and I don’t think it’s necessary. The subject looks great against the darkish canvas.

Max

Thanks Max. I do like the Low Key feel as well. Just new to the group but already a big fan.

1 Like

Absolutely mesmerizing. What a killer moment! I that it’s close-in so I can soak up all of the details, and textures. Just wow! Welcome!

Great first post. An unique capture for sure and excellent detail. I love the light and the dark background.

Thanks Dave, for your kind comments. It seems a great forum. Look forward to what comes next!

Thanks Allen. My mantra is to try to find something that hasn’t been done to death!

Amazing image, I can only echo Keith I guess… I love everything about it :slight_smile: ! Cheers, Hans

Thanks Hans. Nice to have contact with fellow photo enthusiasts.

Hello, Cheryl and congrats in the 1st place ! Cheers, Hans

Thanks Hans, and congarts on your stunning photo…lovely color and DoF.