Brown Pelican In Flight +Repost

Saturday my husband and I took a day trip down to the beach (about 2 hours from the house) so that I could find some birds to photograph. This Brown Pelican came flying towards me and I captured this shot. I liked that he was at nice angle, pretty much face on. All comments are welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D II, Canon 100-400 mm L at 400, handheld. Settings manual except auto ISO, f6.3, 1/3200, ISO 500. Edited in LR and Topaz, cropped down to almost 50% of the original.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Shirley, the largest version is stunning. Excellent detail throughout…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Excellent detail and I do love the angle of the bird to you, Shirley. The one thing I’d change is to move the pelican down in the frame a bit. As presented, I feel like I’m looking up at the bird, even though the view of both upper and lower wing surfaces gives the impression that it’s just about at head height. I think if you lower it a little, you can accent that head-on feel. Some will probably say it’s too centered vertically, but I think it will work.

1 Like

I like the head-on view and sharp detail. Having read Dennis’s comment, I would agree with him. I wonder how this would look with a panoramic crop?

1 Like

I finally found some time to try out the critique recommendations. I tried the pano crop that Allen mentioned. What do you think? Better? Or should I keep the format, and do as Dennis suggested, and move the pelican down in the frame?

1 Like

I think the pano crop did move the pelican down in the frame and gives the shot a more intimate feel.

1 Like

I think this worked, Shirley. It feels just about at eye level to me now.

1 Like