Brown Pelican in-flight, close-up

This was taken last March in San Diego County at the coast. Brown pelicans seem to congregate there around the rocks. In general, they fly fairly slowly so taking in-flight shots is easier than it is with some of the other coastal birds. This shot was taken just as the sun came up and started to illuminate the flying pelicans. It was taken at a high vantage point looking down at the water. I generally prefer to post new images but the weather here, currently in the middle of two straight weeks of rain, is not conducive to avian photography.

Here is the original unprocessed image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 400, 400 mm, F-3 .2, 2000th, Sony A1, handheld, greater than 25% crop from original.

Lighting and detail are great. I really like the close-up look.

Wow this is really great. The light was with you, Jedi! I think the crop suits the bird, but I see some highlights seem to be blown out. The unprocessed shot has less of that issue so you could start with a linear profile to see if that keeps them tamed. The blue of the water is such an interesting hue, subdued, but very rich and unusual. If after looking at this a person doesn’t agree that birds and dinosaurs share a common ancestor, nothing will convince them!

Hi David
I generally like to see the full frame of a bird in flight, but the soft light of a setting sun and the eye contact make this photograph work. Good call.
Peter

I like shooting them from this angle as well…looks as if you were in a hang glider flying along side as you shot.

Great blow up of the Pelican profile and in flight to boot … wonderful…you’ve done them justice. Love that soft back wing too, showing the lift power.