Bubble Net feeding Whales

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a group of whales that have engaged in bubble net feeding. They are only on the surface for a very short time, but it is worth the wait. Cropped to a pano.

Technical Details

R5 and 24-105 mm lens at 1/640, f/8 and Auto ISO.

1 Like

Fantastic action shot and technically excellent. A few years ago we were in Alaska and hearing that whales were “all over the place” and bubble net feeding daily, we ventured out to take it all in. It was a “you should have been here an hour ago” day. No bubble net feeding but got a few other shots. None as nice as this. Great shot.

Very good timing to capture them at this point in their emergence. I have a similar photo from a few years ago, when a pod (?) emerged right off the starboard side of our yacht. It is so thrilling you almost forget to push the shutter!

Thank you for posting this wonderful photo. It’s a phenomenon I long to see myself someday. I’ve been on a few whale watches, but haven’t seen this so it’s a treat. As said I think this is technically excellent and the right moment in the whole process so that we can see clearly what’s happening and how the whales accomplish this feat at the surface like this. The pano crop was the right choice!

This is just about perfect, Richard. Beautifully symmetrical and I love the various stages of emergence. The thing that caps it off form me is that one little prey fish silhouetted against the white spray in the middle.

1 Like

It’s a killer frame, executed in an impeccable manner !
It would look great as a big print.

Cheers :heavy_heart_exclamation:

That’s amazing Richard! I would love to see this in person some day. Congrats on the EP!

John: thanks for viewing and commenting.

1 Like