Bubbles nr.1

Rework

Original version

Sometimes the images just appear in our path.
This scene was captured on a road trip (didnt kind i would shot a lot) in which we found a frozen lake with this gorgeous waves of bubbles on the margins.

The composition is a bit abstract (a lot of rocks and distractions) but i liekd the crescendo of the waves and gradient on each one.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any as always.

Is the PP too heavy?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld 1/250s f/11 ISO1000 at 208mm.

Raised the gain of the blue channel and the contrast by messing with levels.

@jferrao.photo
3 Likes

This is an excellent abstract. I love the lines, shapes, textures and color. The tiny bubbles at the top look like deep space stars. Good flow to the comp, too. Quite enjoyable.

Very nice! Does not appear to have excessive PP to me…I like the grainy appearance. The contrast between the pale blue and dark-dark blue is quite enchanting…gives an ethereal feel to image.

A wonderful find, Joao, and a great capture. I find myself sitting here enjoying the scene. The lines, colors, bubbles, all of it. Composed very well.

Gorgeous color, lines, movement and rhythm to this beautiful image Joao. Love finding these beautiful surprises when we least expect them. Very nicely seen and captured.

Joao, Nice abstract with ethereal blue. Nice combination of bubbles, lines and waves

Thank you so much @Harley_Goldman, @Barry_McKenzie, @Shirley_Freeman, @linda_mellor and @ravi for all your kind words.

And Happy Holidays to you all.

1 Like

João, this looks great. The blue/white contrast creates a sense of cold that matches well with the ice. You’ve got good eye movement from the bottom to the top with the brightness change. I’ve been watching ice lines like this a pond next door and think they arise when the water level is dropping as the freezing occurs, so the lines actually tell a story as well as make interesting viewing.

1 Like

Thank you @Mark_Seaver.

This was the first time i saw this type of lines on ice, Portugal is not a very cold place sadly.
This lake was on a rather high village and the ice were recente and forming so it makes total sense what you said about the water levels.

Joao, to paraphrase an English expression, it will be a cold day in Portugal before you are able to get shots like this :grin:

I love how each layer on the ice gets progressively narrower as you move from top to bottom. It creates a nice sense of rhythm in the image. The lighter and darker tones of blue are just great. My only suggestion would be to add little more contrast in the darker tones in the bottom third of the image. But that is a nitpick, this is a very nice image.

@Ed_McGuirk i think i know the original expression :grin: funny that we are going thru a cold front and here in north theres a bit of snow and ice but lockdown is in order, so your version is spot on ahah :laughing:

I took your suggestion and added a bit of contrast on the bottom third of the image, and it makes the overall tone of the image a bit more balanced indeed. Thank you on that and on your words.

@João_Ferrão I like your rework. Its a subtle change, but it balances the tonality nicely.
I agree with Mark Seaver, I’ve found these type of ice formations to be most common when you have freeze/thaw/freeze cycles. So in climates with only moderate winters you are actually more likely to get ice formations like this. Where I live we have cold and snowy winters, so I’m only able to do ice abstracts like this early and late in the season, during real winter the ice is all snow covered.

Very cool, literally, and figuratively.

1 Like

I think it is lovely first as it was originally, and then also the rework, which has just a tiny shift in the darkening of tones at the bottom of the image. The cool color palette expresses the coldness that we associate with ice like this very well. It’s really nice!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind words @Ed_McGuirk and @brenda_tharp :smile: