Bud Light

Get it? Bud. Light.

This is an experiment. I was playing with Photoshop’s Exposure adjustment layer. I liked how I could darken the image while not saturating the colors compared to using Curves. I used it to darken the image overall, but then painted the layer mask with black to conceal the flower, which was lighter in the underlying layers. It ended up with a bit of a Christmas tree light effect, which, for this time of year, seems appropriate.

Specific Feedback Requested

As a print, this doesn’t look as good as I’d like, but am not sure what else to do with it. I have more exposure for focus-blending, but sort of liked the the flower being brighter and more in-focus than the other elements. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Groan. :joy:

I see what you’re going for, but yeah, it’s just not doing it. Maybe if you had a shot of more of them…a string of lights, it would have a better effect. Saturation looks good though, as you say it hasn’t been affected by the exposure.

Thanks, Kristen. I do have a composition like that. I’ll take a look at it.

Tony: Aptly titled and nicely presented IMO. I love the light on the main bud and the more subdued lighting on the BG buds. Nicely conceived and expertly executed. >=))>

This is a beautifully shot and processed image. The light on the main bud is great. There maybe another version with a bit more breathing room on the top and RHS of the image. That may include more buds?

It works for me, but a bit more top and right could be good, with maybe some dark vignette. I love the colors and I think the DOF is good with its emphasis on the dewdrops. The purplish spines below the bud are such a nice touch.