Buffalo Family

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was from my recent Fall trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Parks. This is in the Hayden Valley quite near the road on an early snowy and rainy morning. It was still quite dark and this was shot at a moderately high ISO.
I wasn’t looking to photograph a family of buffalo but when the opportunity presented itself, I couldn’t resist. Having the youngest with it’s rear end in the frame instead of its head isn’t ideal but I think you still get the essence of what I was trying to capture. At least I hope. Let me know if you feel differently as I’m a little on the fence about this one. I do however, love the overlapping heads of the two larger buffalo. Thanks for taking a look.

Technical Details

Z9, 800mm lens, ISO 6400, 1/1000, f/6.3, hand held, manual exposure

Just a very warm and wonderful scene. Wonderful colors.

Very, very nice!! I think you could darken the baby’s rear a little, but it’s not a big enough problem to overshadow the two faces, which are wonderful!! I think a square or even a vertical 8x10 crop would work to emphasize the two faces even more and minimize the baby.

Thank you @Ronald_Murphy and @Diane_Miller for your thoughts on this one.
Diane, I tried both a square crop and a vertical crop and that dang butt is still in the way so that is why I included the whole family…sort of speak. I know it’s a little bit weird but, it’s all I have. Glad you like it anyway. :slight_smile:
Ronald, glad you like this one. Thanks for commenting.
Happy Holidays to both of you!!!