One and a Half Bison

This photo was taken in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone National Park. The techs are Panasonic G9 and 100-400 lens at 1/500, f/4 and ISO 640. The conditions were overcast.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I shot it this way as there were many overlapping bison near and behind the bison on the right. Generally I’m not a fan of amputation by camera, but this one does appeal to me primarily because it shows the head and eye of each animal, as well as showing their sizable mass. It’s also a bit different which can be seen as good or not good. What do you think?

Any pertinent technical details:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Richard!
First coming to half Bison: Giving half cut to animals, especially big mammals is no easy task, but I must admit that you managed to give it a ‘very nice’ cut. And overcast weather is always fine to get the details from dark animals.
If you have some more canvas on top and left side of the frame, that would help the frame and you may crop off some foreground, especially whitish area.

Jagdeep Rajput

Richard, the details (thanks to the overcast) really look good. The 1.5 bison works for me, except for the tightness on the left with the swirled tail. The two heads, busily eating do a good job of grabbing attention.

Jagdeep and Mark: thanks for the comments and suggestions. I have added canvas to the left and cropped a bit from the bottom. I think it works well.

1 Like

I don’t mind the bisected Bison at all, Richard. It’s big enough to get away with it. I also like the crossed horns of the two animals. On the negative side, It feels rather crowded on the left side and I find myself wishing that the left Bison would turn toward the camera a bit more. I just noticed the repost-you did a nice job of reframing it.

Superb detail throughout the image.

I like the repost with additional room on the left. The bisect crop works for me. The rear end pose would work better with a little more of a head turn. Looks like a 7 legged bison?