American Bison- "You talken to me?"

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Bison were gathered near a back road and we stayed in our car and photographed through the window with a 200 to 600 zoom lens at 600mm. Bison were walking parallel to our vehicle but at a reasonably safe distance.

Technical Details

Sony A-1 with a 200-6oo mm Sony lens at 600 mm, f8 at 1/800 sec ISO1600 and used Topaz to sharpen slightly and reduce noise.

1 Like

There’s good amount of detail in the image and I really like the eye contact.
Not sure if this is the best crop, but image may benefit from some boost in the contrast.

Great head turn, Larry and that eye actually conveys something in this image which I’ve always had trouble with on bison. The crop also feels a bit awkward to me.

Thanks Dennis
I wanted more of a head and shoulders portrait but which area would you crop differently ?

Hi Larry: It may be a problem due to background animals, but I think a little more room on the top and off the bottom and crop in the left side to just in front of the near leg and add maybe a touch of room on the right, but without seeing the whole frame it’s just a guessing game. For some images it seems almost impossible to find a crop that really works, but the expression on this youngster’s face definitely needs to be presented.