Bison in profile

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Where is your attention drawn to in this image? Does it trigger any feelings or connections for you?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This was a quick, out the window of the car shot in Yellowstone while we were stuck in a Bison Jam. I was trying to get a close-up head shot of the bison as they walked by that would use the animal’s eye to draw the attention of the viewer

Technical Details

This was shot in bright sunlight that I felt made the image work better in black and white.
ISO1250 1/640sec 300mm f/5.6

Dave: My initial reaction was that I wish the eye was more open or not appearing that the bison is looking down or blinking. The conversion is excellent and there is just enough BG to complement without distracting. .>=))>

Immediate Reaction: I don’t want to tangle with this dude!

I think B&W was a great way to go with this image, Dave. I like your close crop. Bison eyes are really tough. They don’t show up well in the full size bison images and even when they do, they have a weird look that I don’t find appealing. By getting this angle with just a glimpse of the eye and the eyelash showing well, I think you ended up with a really fine image.