On a Mission

Almost all the bison I saw at the National Bison Range were either sleeping or eating (kind of what herbivores do most outside the mating season). Even the calves were too old to be playing, so I was very happy when this one came down a small slope toward me as if he actually had somewhere to go. As it turned out, he did. As son as he got down to the road he turned and walked up 20 or 30 feet and started scratching himself on a rock beside the road. I didn’t have the best angle on that action and would have had to drive right by him and through a car on the other side of a gate in a fence to get the angle I wanted, so I ended up preferring this image to the ones of him scratching (I"ll probably process one or two of those and post one).

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I played with the light values to reduce the shadows and warmed it up a bit.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I liked the fact that the bison was above my level as it made it look more imposing to me. Does that work?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 435 mm, hand held from truck, f/8, 1/3200, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4235x3388 before resizing for the web. Taken at 9:40 am on September 15th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I agree that catching him coming down at you makes for a more dramatic shot. I’m always amazed how narrow they are given their overall size. I wonder if the bison’s right eye could be brought out more? I also think the blue sky sets off the bison nicely. Good capture.

I like the head on pose and your lower POV. You managed to extract great details against the bright sky !

Dennis
The angle on this definitely conveys the massiveness of this creature. A date with a rock! Good capture!