Risk vs Reward

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Formidable?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Massive bull bison (Bison bison), in peak physical condition at the start of the rut, pauses for a moment to scan the herd in the plains of Lamar Valley, evaluating the competition and prospective mating partners.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D IV; Canon EF 200-400mm + 1.4x @ 560mm; f/8 @ 1/60 sec, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

Nice contemplative image here with the bull surveying the field. It feels like it needs a bit less open space in front of the Bison here, but I can understand your placement with a wide open field for him to look at. I think the BW version does add a bit of somber, don’t mess with me feel to this as well.

Thank you @Ed_Williams for your comments and suggestion. My intent was to have him appear away from the herd so he could have the best, most inclusive view of the herd.

I really like the landscape and your placement of Bison in the frame ! I feel it needs more contrast, you need to push blacks and I wish for more of head turn.

Thank you @JRajput for your comments. What it are you referring to " I feel it needs more contrast," With respect to the amount of head turn, I have found that wildlife does not take directions from this photographer.