American Bison

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We visited friends in Wichita, KS last week and Ted collected on a debt. On a previous trip he had taken a friend of our friends for a ride in his Stearman biplane, and the poor guy threw up. He was really really really embarrassed. So this trip our friends said he hoped to make up for it with a tour of his buffalo ranch. He has a square mile that he cleared and replanted in native grass, and has a herd of something like 90, with quite a few babies. Seven of us piled into a big Polaris and went touring across prairie and through several small creeks, and right into the herd. They were very gentle and came right up and seemed to want their noses scratched. (They know who feeds them.) This is the #1 bull and his current girlfriend.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 12.29.07 PM

Cloudy light. Minor Shadows and Highlights in LR. Into PS for some minor BG cleanup. This is one of only a few shots that didn’t have others in the BG and cluttering edges. I could add some canvas top and left but for now it’s full frame as shot.

1 Like

I’d have been so nervous this close to them - 78mm!!! Woah. Lucky you. These two look pretty cosy and she seems pretty unimpressed with your camera. How amazing that your friend decided to do some prairie restoration on his own. I wish more people would do that. I think you could lower the blacks a touch, but that’s all I got.

1 Like

Great subject and solid techs here. Before seeing your data, I was just trying to guess the equipment, it didn’t look like 100-500 mm lens, so it was RF 70-200 mm. And you had the best light, cloudy light to bring out the details.
But @Diane Miller, why is girlfriend of #1 bull teasing you ?? :wink:

Thanks, @JRajput – I guess she thought I might be a rival – I was admiring her boyfriend…

1 Like

Hi Diane, I really like the rendering of the fur here especially in the front bison. Feel like I could reach out and stroke that fur. The rear bison’s tongue sticking out is a nice element to the image. Well done.

Great job @Diane_Miller - taking advantage of the light
I would consider giving the animals a little more space on the left - 20%

I can see why, Dianne – he is rather buff isn’t he… :wink:

(Nicely executed image, too, might I add!)

Thanks, @Michael_Thornton – definitely my type!!

How did I miss this? Wow, this is really nice, Diane. Beautiful couple and you captured them well.