Bison Jumping

I took this photo in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone. When I saw the bison heading for the creek, I thought there might be an interesting shot of the bison making splashes as they crossed. Instead, this one, and only this one jumped across the small stream. The others made small splashes that were not very noteworthy.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Cropped to a more pano like look to eliminate a ditch and weed line uppermost. Does the pano crop work in your opinion? An alternative crop is posted below.

Any pertinent technical details:

Panasonic G9 and 100-400 lens at 1/500, f/4.4 and ISO 200.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Here’s an alternative crop.

Richard, I prefer the pano crop. I think having more bison in the frame helps present a bolder graphic element to contrast with the grass, and it emphasizes the leaper as the “leader” even more.

Max

Hi Richard!

I like your idea of posting two different comps. forcing us to think hard.
I may go for the second post as it gives an illusion that Bison is jumping higher.

Jagdeep Rajput

1 Like

Both crops work. I prefer the second as it best emphasizes the leaper which you indicate was your subject.

The pano crop works for me, Richard. The line of bison slanting down to the one leaping makes a cool line. It also makes it appear that they’re all about to do so.

i like the 2nd crop…It emphasizes the action for me…
The processing looks very nice also.

Richard, I’m on the fence about making a choice. The pano works as the bison are arranged well to fit it, although I tend to favor the extra bit of free space below the creek in the crop. I like the action in either. When I was there, all they were doing was either munching the grasses or creating roadblocks :face_with_raised_eyebrow: