Yellowstone Bison w/edits

Edited with less sky and better placement of buffalo

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another image taken on my Fall colors trip to Yellowstone a Few weeks ago. This is a sunset in the Hayden Valley as three buffalo traverse a high ridge just below color in the sky. I know this image could also work as a panorama removing much of the top of the sky but I also like the minimalist look by keeping the sky. If you don’t mind, let me know if you like this as is or if I should load the panorama as well. Thanks for taking a look. I appreciate your time and feedback.

Technical Details

Z8, 100-400mm lens 2 270mm, ISO 800, F/9, 1/160, hand held, manual exposure

The FG detail is wonderful, as is the composition of the three buffalo. I like the idea of this crop, with the big sky, but I wonder about a fairly dramatic darker gradient from the top. Had to have a look – had to even out the sky color/tone to make it work. The JPEG is posterized but the PS file looks clean, even from the 8-bit JPEG. Working on the original 16-bit file should be better.

I just love the dramatic sky here!
I appreciate the attempt of @Diane_Miller, it looks more dramatic!
I expected here a finer placement of Bisons on the horizon.

David, the sky looks great. I say definitely go pano, cropping about half of the sky. That lets the Bison play a larger role in the view. You’ve got enough detail in the foreground to balance the sky.

thanks very much for your suggestions @Diane_Miller , @JRajput and @JRajput . I’ve implemented all of the suggestions and hope that the placement of the bison on the horizon is better now. There is less space behind the buffalo and more space in front of them where they are walking towards. Thanks for your help on this one.

1 Like

Thanks Mark. I incorporated your suggestion and it was a great suggestion. Makes all the difference. Thanks again.