Lone Bison Bull - With Alternative Edit and Cleanup

Edit 2

Edit 1

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was the morning after the storm in the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone NP. This lone bull really stood out in the bright morning light against the dark cloudy skies.

Specific Feedback

Cropped for composition, and a bit of turf added to the bottom to give a bit more space for the bull. Not sure if this is too square, or, if I got the turf right. I might be able to work on it to reduce the repeats. Is the lighting alright, or too big of a difference between FG and BG? Thanks for any assistance you can provide here.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f16, 1/80 sec, iso 100, -0.7 EV, 24-105 lens at 90 mm. Cropped for composition, small strip of extra turf added below.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

You are making me want to go to Yellowstone - you have posted a number of beautiful ones including this!

I like the crop, the mountain is the top third, the bright grasses with the bull approximately the bottom third. I also like the contrast between the brightly light grasses and the dark storm clouds.

I probably would not have noticed it if you had not said you had added grasses to the front, and this may be natural, I don’t know, but I feel like I am seeing a couple of lines that might be from a repeat paste of the grasses. I took a screen shot and circled what I’m looking at.

Would it be possible to add a little more contrast and pull out some detail in the mountain area?

I’m thinking it would look less dark but still emphasis the difference between the sunlight grasses and the stormy skies if I could see a bit more of the details of the mountain area.

Overall I really like it.

Thank you @elizabeth. I went back through and edited the bottom area a bit to reduce the repeating lines. I also reduced the shadows a bit more in the top portion.

Ed: nicely seen animalscape. It’s always enjoyable to see the environment the animal lives in. On my screen, there is a noticeable blue cast to the mountains and clouds.

Thank you @Richard_Sandor. I’ve gone back and reduced the blues.