Long Shadow Bison

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a lone bison bull grazing in the Lamar Valley as sundown was approaching. There was a storm building up to rain the next day.

Specific Feedback

DOF? Light on the mountains behind the bull? Composition? Any comments or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f16, 1/100 sec, iso 500, 24-105 lens at 105 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Good sort of pastoral look at this most wild of cows. I like all the different colors in the coat. I do wonder why you didn’t choose to include all of the shadow…? Maybe something to the left that was ugly/distracting? A shift to the right putting the animal over that way and eliminating the near mountain could work maybe, keeping the farther line of mountains as a consistent backdrop. The light looks reasonable there…matches the clouds immediately overhead. Hm. Choices, choices. Everything looks a bit soft as well…big crop?

Thank you @Kris_Smith. I was so busy following the rule of thirds that I failed to follow the rule of get the whole shadow in this one. We were in a van and didn’t want to get out with the bison so close, so this was shot from the window. I’m attaching the original full frame with minor editing for shadows, levels, and Topaz denoise and sharpen here.