Buffalo Herd Moving Through the Grass

While waiting at a water hole one afternoon in the Zambezi National Park in Zimbabwe this herd of Buffalo made their way towards the water, kicking up the dust in the beautiful yellow grass.

Specific Feedback Requested

Please could you give any feedback, especially critical feedback. Much appreciated!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 400, 1/400, f9

1 Like

Alan, welcome to NPN! This is a great first post. Looking forward to more of your work here.

I think this really works as a panorama. Close cropping the sky to the trees helps to keep the eye on the herd. And I really like how they’re spread out but heading right towards the camera. The dust is icing on the cake. Excellent image.

Thank you very much for your welcome and feedback, David. Your critique helps me know I am on the right track with this image.

Hello Alan, and welcome to NPN. A great first submission. I agree with David that it works well as a panorama. That format suits and enhances the wide expanse of the approaching buffalo. I like the line of animals leading off to the right hand side where the low sun has picked up the dust nicely but it has also slightly burnt it out which could probably be fixed in Lightroom.
That sun is very strong and low so it has also caused you to loose some detail in the individual buffalos.
But as a photo of the herd it’s great.

• List item

Hi Alen!
Welcome to NPN!
I’m very late at this party, but great image to start your account! Love the vastness of the scene.
Looking forward to more images from your portfolio!
And congratulations on the Editor’s Pick!

PS. You may write the full techs along the image, as it helps analyze better.

Hi Alan, welcome to NPN! A very atmospheric first post with the herd of buffalo kicking up all that dust. One of the quintessential African shots. I really like the shape of the herd as it helps guide your eye throughout the image. I also like the trees in the background framing the shot.

Hi Ryan
Thanks for taking the time to have a good look at this photo. I will go back to the original to see if I have more detail that I maybe lost a bit in post.

Hi J
Thank you for the editors pic! Much appreciated!