Bull Elk

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

There’s a paddock of Tule Elk down at the San Luis National Wildlife Refuge not too far from where I live. I went down there recently hoping that the bulls were still sporting their racks. They were, and I managed some shots of this handsome fella with his harem. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/1600th, f 8.0, hand held, 500mm, ISO 1100, AI Clear, cropped to 4275 x 3392.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Oops. I somehow double posted my image and I can’t figure out how to delete the bottom one. Could somebody smarter than me make it go away? Thanks!

Dave

Dave, the lighting is what got my attention on this bull. Beautiful light, and a really sharp image. Guess it pays to have your SS at 1/1600 :slight_smile: This was a stand-out for me, in going thru the new images. Nice job.

(On a side note, my mother’s maiden name was “Douglass” with 2 “S” on the end. So am wondering if we’re descended from the same Scottish Clan? There aren’t that many Douglasses with that spelling)

Great subject and impressive antlers !
I really like the lower POV and soft background.

PS. I removed the bottom picture for you. :smile:

Thanks so much for your help, Jagdeep. I sure got lucky being able to get fairly close to this handsome fella.