Elk Portrait

What technical feedback would you like if any? Comp OK (I was paying lots of attention to the antlers to get all of the tines in the frame.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200-400mm f4 + 1.4xTC at 420mm (1/400 sec at f109, Iso 800) Crop for comp, levels, brightness & Contrast, DeNoise). This large bull elk was courting his harem near Gardiner, Montana. In addition to this portrait, I have some of the entire elk. The yellows in the BG are rabbitbrush flowers and add some color to the scene. I also used the rubber stamp tool to carefully remove a piece of string from this guy’s forehead. I think that he did battle with a lawn chair or clothes line in town…Jim

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jim, the head on, head shot does a fine job of showing off his stare and his antlers. I’m not sure I’d want this guy staring at me like this unless I was in my car. Although if this was taken with a long lens, you may have been far enough away.

1 Like