Bullock's Oriole (male)

I’m working on getting the local birds into some different perches. (No way the interesting ones are approachable “in the wild” even with 1000mm and a big crop.) The attraction here was suet.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Canon R5, 100-500 + 1.4X, at 700mm, f/10, 1/500, ISO 3200, tripod. A rare cloudy day gave me some good light, and I decided to try a higher ISO, with good results. Topaz Denoise dealt with it well. Minor tonal tweaks in LR, then into PS for denoise. Almost full-frame: Cropped a bit from the right to remove the feeder and add a touch to the top as the tip of the branch was too close to the top edge.

3 Likes

A very nice composition with the bird, perch, and background. In fact, I find the perch very attractive. I think I’d prefer the bird looking a bit more towards us than at the feeder.

Nice capture of a gorgeous bird. Perch adds a lot of interest. I agree that pursuing birds in the wild is frustrating, at best. Nicely set up and executed.

Color, detail, and diagonals work very well in this image. Impressive for ISO 3200. I am also enjoying the perch. Background is wonderful.

I haven’t had success trying to reply by iPhone but will try again here, as our internet is out AGAIN, thanks to the electric utility that has burned down about half of CA. They are trying to underground lines in our area instead of maintaining them and have damaged the fiber optic lines — again. No idea when it will be repaired.

Many thanks for the comments. I’ve just processed a shaggy little Oak Titmouse shot at ISO 12,800 and cropped to 50% and I’m dying to post it. I swear that’s going to be my default ISO now!!

I like the perch a lot, Diane, and the pose of the oriole has lots of energy. Well done.

The oriole looks very nice with that weathered wood perch. Color, BG, and comp are excellent. Well done. …Jim

Hi Diane
Hope you get your internet back. I am just going to go along with the group and say very thing about this photograph look great. I just wish the Oriole move down the breach , to give side profile.
Peter

Thanks everybody!! Internet is back now – for now. I wished for a slightly different pose too, but he was only there about a second and didn’t respond to a pish. (Probably the wrong dialect.) May get more opportunities but conditions will be only light clouds for a couple of days then severe clear. Hope they get up very early – and I can too…

Diane, this is wonderful. I especially like the branches and how they crisscross behind the bird. Wonderful work on the processing too, Diane. Excellent.