Bunchberries and Ferns

This is a followup to my prior post, “Birch, Bunch, and Ferns”. The trees at the top of that image seemed to generate some comments about odd vs. even number of trees, trees near the edge, how much of the trees should be shown, etc.

So for this go round the trees are gone, reducing this to just flowers and ferns, creating an even more intimate view. Excluding the birch trees does lose the repetition of white between the birches and the flowers. But in this image the flowers are the star, and the ferns become the supporting cast. I think this image also works out, but in a different way from the prior post. This one is more about the flowers, rather than the layers.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

2 Likes

Really nice take on that other image Ed. I like the dark floor of the forest as well. The completely verticle orientation to the ferns really adds another dimension to the scene. Very nice continuation of the quest!
BTW I am out of ferns :frowning: I believe…

I like this one too, for different reasons. It is almost like the flowers are on stage and the ferns have pulled up a chair to watch!

1 Like

I’m of a mind that favors this image. It’s the simplicity. Aside from what kind of plants they are, reduce your vision to two different interdigitated patterns. It helps to blur your vision.

They complementary in their basic color, but the pattern graphic enough to provide contrast.

The strong diagonal division, although there is mixing, provides instability and tension. The epiphany of the scene is that one fern that has really crossed the line and is headed out on its own.

Great image.

Namaste

I quite like one too. Very different image, very different emphasis. I like the other a bit more, but I really like this one.

This is gorgeous for sure, but for my tastes, I do prefer the previous composition best.

I like both images, but this one stands out to me a bit more. I really like the layering of the flowers and fern and I think this is much better than the suggestion that I made on one of your previous posts about isolating the ferns in a composition of their own. The flowering plants really add a lot to the image. Excellent work!